OPEN CALL Showcase Emerging Sound 2023
STUK, Q-O2, Musica & C-TAKT present an annual showcase of emerging sound artists in Belgium. The showcase shines a light on the diversity of the Belgian sound art landscape, and gives a boost to an upcoming generation of makers. We are looking for recent, existing work in which sound plays a central role. This can be any format: performance, installation, soundwalk, radio piece, intervention or other innovative formats. The four selected works will be presented in STUK from 12 till 17 May 2023 (for installations) and on 17 May 2023 (for performances). Please read the detailed conditions specified below.
- You are an emerging sound artist. In other words: in training, recently graduated, at the start of a career or still looking to broaden your network within the Belgian or international sound art field.
- You make sound installations, sound performances, soundwalks, participatory work around sound or music, radio art or sound interventions in the public space.
- You are asked to propose only one existing work, that is not older than 2020. Submissions with more than one work will not be considered.
- You have a link to Belgium: either by residence, education or nationality.
What do we offer?
- Presentation of 1 work during the Showcase Emerging Sound 2023 at STUK in Leuven from 12 till 17 May 2023 (for installations and other formats) or on 17 May 2023 (for performances).
- Feedback session at Q-O2 where professionals and artists from previous editions will give feedback on your work.
- An optional preparatory residency with overnight stay and technical support in Klankenbos, Musica, Impulse Center for Music in Neerpelt.
- Visibility and support in terms of communication and documentation towards Belgian and international programmers and the broader professional sector.
- Artistic compensation: €500 euro
- Travel costs: up to €50 euro
How to get involved?
Please register before 15 October 2022 using the following online registration form
Make sure to include links (audio-video) to your work online. You can also upload up to 5 documents (biography, portfolio, press cuttings, ...). Mark every document clearly with your name.
This call is open to everyone. The selection takes place regardless of age, sex, ethnicity, religion, cultural background, ability or education into consideration. Selected artists will be informed by mid-December 2022 at the latest.
- Showcase Emerging Sound 2022: Raphael Malfliet, Vica Pacheco, Marija Rasa Kudabaitė, Léa Roger
- Showcase Emerging Sound 2021: Anne van de Star, Charlie Usher, Dominik ‘t Jolle, Arzu Saglam, Beyt Al Tapes en Andres Garcia Navarro.
- Showcase Emerging Sound 2019: Lore Stessel & Rubén Martinez Orio, Jonathan Frigeri, Oona Libens, Lukas De Clerck