OPEN CALL Showcase Emerging Sound 2022
STUK, Q-O2, Musica & C-TAKT present an annual showcase of new sound art in Belgium. A selection of works by promising sound artists will be presented on 14 & 15 May 2022 at Q-O2. The showcase shows the diversity of the Belgian sound art landscape and gives the next generation of sound artists a boost. We are looking for recent, existing work in which sound plays a central role. This can be a performance, an installation, soundwalk, radio piece, online project, workshop, intervention or anything else. Because of the renovation works at STUK in Leuven, this edition will take place at Q-O2 in Brussels. For practical reasons, we cannot present (larger) installations this year, so we will mainly present performances and smaller, experimental formats. All proposals are welcome through this open call.
Some images of the Showcase Emerging Sound 2021, with Anne van de Star, Charlie Usher, Dominik ‘t Jolle, Arzu Saglam, Beyt Al Tapes and Andres Garcia Navarro. © Joeri Thiry for STUK arts centre
- You are a 'young' or 'promising' sound artist. In other words: in training, recently graduated, at the start of a career or still looking to broaden your network within the Belgian or international sound art field.
- You make sound installations, audiovisual art, performances with sound, soundwalks, participatory work around sound or music, radio art, artistic podcasts, sound interventions in the public space, online projects with sound, and so on.
- You are the maker of a new sound work no older than 2019. You are intended to choose only one work for this call. Submissions with more than one work will not be retained. For practical reasons we cannot present (larger) installations this year, so we will mainly select performative work (max. 30 minutes) and smaller installations.
- You have a link with Belgium: living or training in Belgium or Belgian nationality.
What do we offer?
- Presentation of 1 work during the Showcase Emerging Sound 2022 on 14 & 15 May 2022 at Q-O2 (Brussels).
- Possibility of preparatory residency with overnight stay and technical support in Klankenbos, Musica, Impulse Center for Music, 28 March - 1 April 2022.
- Feedback session at Q-O2 where professionals and artists from previous editions give you feedback on your work.
- Visibility and support in terms of communication and documentation towards Belgian and international programmers and the broader professional sector.
- Artistic compensation: €500 euro
- Travel costs: up to €50 euro
How to get involved?
You can take part by submitting one artistic work, made between 2019 and 2021. The purpose is that you as maker choose only one work for this call. For practical reasons we cannot present (larger) installations this year, so we will mainly select performative work (max. 30 minutes) and smaller installations.
Please send comprehensive documentation about your work (description, audio, video, eventual press), accompanied by a biography and/or portfolio with links, before 10 October 2021 to Heidi.Lurinx@musica.be with subject ‘Open Call Showcase Emerging Sound 2022 - Surname, Given name’ and confirm your registration through this online registration form.
This call is open to everyone. The selection process does not take a participants age, sex, ethnicity, religion, cultural background, handicap or education into consideration. The selected artists will be informed by mid-December at the latest.